For 2012 Christmas gifts I made several wooden signs for family and friends. Here is one I came across in my pictures. My husband was very fond of this saying and wanted me to paint it for family. I wasn’t really sold on it but decided to do it because he really liked it.
I found the saying on More Than Sayings Blog (although we added a sentence)
The piece of wood I used was from an old looking 1970’s cupboard we took down in our dining room. It was really nice to work with and very smooth. I think even cheap wood was better quality back in the day!
Some simples step to creating this sign:
- Although it didn’t need it I sanded it lightly just because I got a new sander and wanted to use it!
- I painted the bottom coat with a grey Dulux paint (Grey Cast to be exact) I had in the garage. I really wasn’t sure what effect I was trying to get, but I love greys and whites.
- Once the grey coat dried I applied Wattyl Aquatrim white paint which I had left over too.
- When it completely dried, I sanded it by hand with 150 grit sand paper to get that weathered effect. I tried using a lower grit paper but it left scratch marks so I just stuck with the 150 paper.
- Once I had positioned the writing on the wood and applied it with carbon paper and a pencil. I gently sanded the letters a little before painting them. This is because when writing the letters on the carbon paper it can smudge on wood and leaves marks.
Admittingly this is my husband’s favourite sign not so much mine but I think it turned out ok considering I was not sure what effect I was going for.
Now for some more sign ideas.
LOVE Anita X