Wednesday 17 April 2013

Chocolate & Tahini Oat Bar Recipe


'I don’t have to know everything that happens, since I know God is good, He loves me and life on earth isn’t the whole story.' Rick Warren

This quote really inspired me especially after a recent scare with my health. I love knowing that this life isn’t it.

In 2005, I was told I had severe Crohn’s condition and after a year of trying different medicines and experiencing worst symptoms, I began to manage the condition watching my diet for five years. Although I read two great and informative books, ‘The Makers Diet,’ by Jordan Rubin and ‘What You Don’t Know May Be Killing You,’ by Dr Colbert, I didn’t follow any particular diet. Instead I avoided foods that I was intolerant to such as dairy, sauces and gluten, as well as foods or drinks that would aggravate the condition like soda, alcohol and nuts etc. That is not to say I didn’t have the occasional treat I just avoided them most days.

My health declined again after a stressful period of having a baby, moving interstate and moving houses (twice) all in the same year. The condition literally became a thorn in my flesh! Taking several medications also kept me unwell and low in energy. So after being hospitalised recently I decided that I would be very attentive about foods I eat. My naturopath advised me to keep every meal simple, having either steamed or poached meals. Which is fine, but it’s in between meal times that worry me.

The loads of unhealthy convenient snacks that shops fill their aisles with! That’s what I go for when I have just told my gorgeous two year old for the tenth time that day not to jump on the couch, or when he has been crying for an hour and I desperately need an energy boost. Tasty instant fast foods - chocolate bars, biscuits, fruits, breads, and the more I have the more I want. So two minutes later I always find myself with another dangerous snack in my hand thinking it will give me the energy boost I didn't get from my previous snack!

So I wanted to make a snack that actually would give me an energy boost when required. That was tasty and healthy with ingredients that I can tolerate. Something easy that involved no baking, with minimal ingredients and doesn’t spoil quickly. That’s when I adapted this recipe from the blog averie cooks and they are delicious.

Hope you enjoy them as much as my family does.



        Chocolate & Tahini Oat Bar Recipe
  • 2 1/2  Quick Oat 
  • 1-5 Teaspoons Tahini (Hulled)
  • 9 Tablespoons Almond Milk
  • 10-12 teaspoons Dark Chocolate Chips
  • 6 Tablespoons Maple Syrup
  • 3 Handfuls of Rice Bubbles
 Almond Meal is high in protein and good energy booster.
  • Melt the tahini, almond milk and chocolate chip cookies in microwave for 30 seconds in intervals of 15 seconds.
  • In a bowl combine the quick oats, rice bubbles and maple syrup.
  • Add the melted tahini mixture and stir with spoon until combined.
  • On a flat tray cover with baking paper. Pour combined mixture.
  • Cover the mixture with piece of baking paper and being to flatten with hand and then roll with rolling pin until it is spread evenly on the tray.
  • Keep covered with baking paper and freeze for 10 minutes
  • Cut to prefered size.
  • Eat immediately or store in zip lock bag in the freezer.
  • I get about 12-14 muesli size bars out of this recipe. 
I cut baking paper in small squares fold it around the bar and roll the ends. Then I store them in a freezer bag  and take them out on the go. They can get a little sticky when they have been out of the freezer for long periods so baking paper helps when eating them.
Be inspired – this recipe is great to substitute and add ingredients. Coconut flakes, chocolate chip oats, nuts, barley flakes, list of healthy ingredients goes on... Enjoy!

I like the idea of giving a healthy gift box when visiting friends and family.

God is Good Always!

LOVE Anita X

No comments:

Post a Comment