Happy Friday Friends,
In the midst of preparing for the Xmas Gift & Craft Fair, I haven’t had a chance to write any post lately. But as I made these yummy lamingtons to nibble on at the markets I thought I would share this delicious Donna Hay recipe (she is a legend)! I don’t really eat shop bought lamingtons because they are not like I remember when I was in a child. They were always fresh, soft and chocolaty but this recipe reminds me of those ones I used to enjoy as a child. So its definitely a winner - thank you Donna Hay! :) Enjoy
(from Donna Hay: Simple Essentials Chocolate Book)
¾ cup caster sugar
1 cup plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon softened butter
¼ cup boiling water
3 cups icing sugar sifted
¾ cup cocoa powder, sifted
1 cup boiling water
¼ cup milk
75 gm melted butter
Desiccated coconut to coat
- Preheat oven to 170ºC.
- Grease a 28cm x 17cm x 3cm slice pan. Line with non-stick baking paper.
- Using an electric mixer, beat eggs until thick and foamy.
- Add sugar, about a tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition. Total beating time should be about 6 minutes.
- Sift flour and baking powder together three times.
- Add to egg mixture and lightly stir with a large metal spoon.
- Combine butter and boiling water in a small bowl and stir to melt butter. Pour down the inside of the bowl and gently stir until combined.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake 25 minutes or until pale golden.
- Turn onto a wire rack lined with non-stick baking paper. Cool and cover with a tea towel.
- Make the sponge at least two hours and up to a day ahead before coating with icing and coconut.
- Trim sides of cake and cut cake into approximately 8 squares.
- Mix icing sugar, cocoa, water, milk and butter in a large bowl.
- Place the coconut in another large bowl.
- Using a fork dip sponge squares in the icing, then with another clean fork coat with coconut.
- Place on a baking tray lined with baking paper and refrigerate until set.
I am a little tired so I do hope all this makes sense! :)
Above all, love each other deeply!
1 Peter 4:8