Well speaking of time flying, winter is upon us again! I know that many people don’t share this sentiment, but I love winter. The rain, the cold, the overcast sky, being cosied up with my family at home and of course the warm winter foods - meat pies, sausage rolls, soup... the list goes on but one dish I have been craving since the cold weather started is a nice beef wellington.
After searching through heaps of recipes, and not finding one I liked I made up my own. This recipe has been a hit with my family and I am sure it will be with yours. Hope you get a chance to try it, if so let me know how it goes. : )
Beef Wellington Recipe
- 500 gm Lean Beef (I buy a lean cut rump or blade steak and mince it. )
- ½ Carrot grated
- 1 Onion chopped
- 1 Garlic chopped
- 1 Swiss Mushroom chopped
- 3 Tbs tomato sauce
- 2 Tsp Dijon Mustard
- 3 Tsp Parmesan Cheese
- 3-4 Sheets Puff Pastry
- 6-8 Slices of Prosciutto sliced thinly
Salt & Pepper
- Pre heat oven to 200 decrees
- Lightly fry the onion, carrot and garlic until soft. Then mix in a bowl with minced meat, mushroom, tomato sauce, dijon mustard and parmesan cheese.
- Once the puff pastry has thawed, lay slices of prosciutto to cover sheet.
- Add the meat mixture on the prosciutto forming a sausage shape then roll the pastry around the mixture wrapping it to form a log.
- Lightly brush egg over it.
- Press the ends with a fork and cook for 30 minutes in fan forced oven.
- Cover with aluminium foil and let it stand for about 5-10 mins.
It will look like a massive log...
but so tasty I promise! :)